Launch Celebrates National Disability Employment Awareness Month
and 50th Anniversary of Landmark Civil Rights Legislation
ATLANTA, October 11, 2023 – Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ), a leading global business services company that supports, protects, and connects major consumer purchases, today recognized National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) by launching “Abilities@Assurant,” a new Employee Resource Group (ERG) that aims to create a supportive and inclusive environment for employees with disabilities while embracing and highlighting the role caregivers and allies play.
This is the 50th anniversary of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which was the first civil rights legislation protecting disabled people from discrimination. Coinciding with this milestone anniversary, Abilities@Assurant will promote disability awareness, advocacy, and professional development opportunities. The initiative builds upon Assurant’s goal to advance disability equity and inclusion and follows president and CEO Keith Demmings signing the Disability:IN CEO Letter on Disability Inclusion earlier this year.
“While we take October to recognize National Disability Employment Awareness Month, our commitment to diversity and inclusion extends year-round, and is focused on providing a workplace that supports and celebrates the abilities and talents of all our employees.”
“Abilities@Assurant will serve as an essential resource for our employees with disabilities, providing the support and opportunities they need to thrive in their careers.”
National Disability Employment Awareness Month dates back to 1945. Focusing originally on people with physical disabilities, its name and scope evolved to acknowledge the importance of increasing the workforce inclusion of people with various types of disabilities. NDEAM celebrates the contributions of America’s workers with disabilities past and present and showcases supportive, inclusive policies and practices that benefit employees and employers alike.
Reflecting this year's theme, “Advancing Access and Equity,” Assurant will engage in a variety of ongoing activities to educate its employees on disability employment issues and its commitment to an accessible and equitable work culture. These include:
- Focusing on Workplace and Workforce Areas of Opportunity: Assurant is assessing its recruiting, interviewing, and onboarding to build more robust talent practices that are inclusive of people with disabilities. It is also improving accessibility of digital content and tools for current and prospective employees with disabilities.
- Fostering Community Engagement: Assurant will partner with its employees to organize local activities through volunteerism and Foundation support.
- Offering Diverse Perspectives: Assurant is hosting a forum for employees to gain understanding and hear from a disability advocate who will share perspectives on advancing inclusion and equity throughout the company.
- Supporting Mental Health Awareness: Assurant will continue to offer learning and development courses covering guidelines about disability etiquette, inclusive language, and neurodivergence, as well as free mental health resources throughout the year.
- Charitable Donations to Disability Organizations: Assurant will also be making donations to the following partner organizations that receive Foundation support: Disability:IN, National Ability Center, Café Joyeux/Emeraude Solidaire Association, Lewisville ISD Education Foundation, SER de Puerto Rico.
“With these initiatives, we continue to build on a culture of inclusion that embraces talent of all abilities to drive growth and innovation and represents the needs of our diverse global customer base.”
“We value diverse perspectives and are committed to combatting all forms of discrimination and bias, including those against people with disabilities.”
Abilities@Assurant joins other employee-led groups that aim to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace at Assurant, including Pride@Assurant, Mosaic@Assurant, Veterans@Assurant, and Women@Assurant.
More information about how to participate in National Disability Employment Month and promote its messages can be found by visiting dol.gov/NDEAM.
Assurant, Inc. (NYSE: AIZ) is a leading global business services company that supports, protects and connects major consumer purchases. A Fortune 500 company with a presence in 21 countries, Assurant supports the advancement of the connected world by partnering with the world’s leading brands to develop innovative solutions and to deliver an enhanced customer experience through mobile device solutions, extended service contracts, vehicle protection services, renters insurance, lender-placed insurance products and other products.
# # #
Vice President, Corporate Communications